By 1811, Presbyterians were worshiping together in the Claysville area, four miles east of town at South Buffalo. That first meeting house was a log structure, replaced by a brick one in 1834. The South Buffalo Congregation moved to Greene Street, Claysville in 1883.
On September 20, 1820, under the leadership of the Rev. Thomas Hoge, another congregation formally organized. The earliest services were held out of doors, weather permitting, in a grove of trees, (later in a wooden tent-like structure), a few yards west of Claysville. Rev. Hoge served for more than 15 years and during his tenure, in 1830, a permanent church building was erected on the Wayne Street site. It became the First Presbyterian Church of Claysville, PA. The one room structure seated nearly 300.
By the turn of the century the Wayne Street congregation had outgrown the old structure. In 1903, the members took the radical step of dismantling the old building (leaving themselves temporarily churchless) and building a new, brick structure to house worship. The project was completed in 1904 and for many years was the largest building in the town. Among other amenities, it housed an Estey Pipe Organ, the cost of which was partially underwritten by Andrew Carnegie.
In 1972, the Greene Street United and the Wayne Street First congregations merged to form the Claysville United Presbyterian Church in which we now worship. Over the years, we have served Washington County in many ways by providing leadership to individual communities and assistance where and when it was needed.